Monday, July 25, 2011

Tina's Purple Cow Insights

I really enjoyed reading the Purple cow article summarizing the book highlights.  The three insights I found interesting and applicable to my individual project is the emphasis on a niche market and the “Ideavirus” and “Go for the edges” concepts.
It really got me realizing after reading the brief history Seth Godin summarizes on the revolution / death of the tv-industrial complex how critical it is to think small and find that niche market when trying to create a ‘wow’ service or product.  This is only a piece of the process to marketing a product/service well yet it sounds so simple and ‘duh’ after reading this.  I definitely am thinking much more detailed and creatively on how I can cater my friends law firm to a very specific ‘niche’ clientele.  I’m thinking of a niche market that has a problem that needs to be solved/improved/innovated somehow or serviced differently .  This brings me to my next insight, “Go for the edges” concept Godin shares.
To assist in developing a catered service/product Godin discuss a brainstorming tool one can utilize to foster this brainstorming with “Go for the edges” as he references by assesses where your service/product falls based upon the other marketing P’s to see where your boundaries are in comparison to your competition in that industry – these are your edges.  This allows you to see the bigger picture which can help foster inspiration on what your niche target market should be or how to tailor/change your service or existing products.  I will definitely do some analysis utilizing this process for my friend’s law firm.
Lastly, the whole ‘Ideavirus’ and ‘sneezers’ Godin discuss which reminds me a lot of the “Word of Mouth Marketing” book by Sernovitz.  Essentially it’s equivalent to the “talkers” message in Sernovitz book yet he takes it a little deeper to state find the experts in a niche market that people in that market would go to as a source for information that will feed them right to your product or service – that is a ‘Sneezer’.  I think this is important to remember and tools that can help you reach those ‘sneezers’ is facebook, twitter, etc.  By tapping into those ‘niche’ market blogs and facebook sites  and making a consistent and innovative message . . . . . those are just some insights I enjoyed and will definitely apply to my individual project/paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment