Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Socialnomics Takeaways

Socialnomics - "Revolution and Evolution"

Overall very interesting stuff. So much has changed in this landscape as we are experiencing a major shift in business and marketing. My first major takeaway is how different marketing is these days, from the old model to the new. Something really struck me when I began thinking about a career in marketing. The old model really had very little interest to me. Branding and polishing and pushing out the traditional "sizzle" and information via classical methods just didn't seem to suit me. How could it? We all try to avert our eyes from normal advertisements and we all dislike wasting time with commercials, for example. However, new marketing is about the product and the people and embracing social media - and when I think about a possible career in marketing this seems so much more interesting. I can actually see myself working for a company to work on enhancing their social media presence - to experience that shift in my own thought process is not something I ever expected but is a very welcome change.

My second major takeaway is how social media has given us transparency in the business climate like we have never experienced before and it is a very, very good thing. Because social media is so fast, connected, viral, and truly informative, businesses must work harder than ever to create great products and give great service, because if they don't the world will know pretty darn quick! Our economy is based on a competitive market where the strong rise to the top and social media ensures the right companies are getting there. We are listening to each other now, not just to the traditional advertisements, business can no longer afford to make mistakes and not care about them. They must care for each single client and transaction, benefiting us all.

My last takeaway is recognizing the power of our customers, and the fact that they do like to brag about the brands they enjoy, and this is free powerful advertising that just needs a little direction! When I think about myself and the things I enjoy, I know how much I like to show others and share, most of us are like this! By using social media we tap into this free advertising that is better than almost anything money can buy! (Hey a Superbowl commercial slot can still be pretty cool). If we don't embrace social media we lose out on all this great advantage that literally is just waiting for us, cause as Qualman tells us, the conversation is going to happen, it is happening right now, its up to us to engage and enhance it rather than ignore it, companies that do the latter will simply not compete in this new era.

I still am simply amazed at how fast this latest revolution has taken place. When I was in college we were just getting on with basic email. Now we have multiple devices with tons of ways we communicate and share. How far will this go? What new mechanisms or shifts will we see in the future? We can be certain of one thing, we will see further changes and developments - as the speed at which information travels continues to increase.

No comments:

Post a Comment