Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Consulting company

Facebook Likes:
It seems that the likes people click for your company or product represent more of a relationship than a simple review. I take this to mean that users who interact with Facebook on your brand are more likely to become engaged as a customer than someone who simply goes to Yelp and posts a review about a shop. For my consulting company, this means we need to focus on engaging with those people who Like the company or the work we are doing. I think these people would be more receptive to hearing about projects or what could be done for them with technology.

Purple Cow can be an Idea:
In reading the Cow article, one thing that struck me was that a Purple Cow can be an idea or a concept, or a buzz. It doesn't necessarily need to be a product for sale. I might be wrong on this, but I was thinking that since the definition is something worth making a remark about, this something could be a video, a blog post, a FB post, etc. So for my company, we should be focusing on creating buzz about the projects we do, as they themselves will create remarks. I talked about using educational articles, blog posts, or videos to educate businesses about new technologies or uses that are coming out. These can be our purple cows, rather than trying to market my company itself as a brand.

Existing Customers are Easier to Sell To:
"Loyal customers will continue to spend money on products and services they like." My company has historically done one-off projects, in which we would bid a custom technology project such as an iPhone app, do the work, and walk away. We didn't focus on building long-term relationships that would allow us to continue doing work for these customers. The quote above from the purple cow article made a lot of sense to me, as it is easier to farm for business rather than hunt. Foster relationships, build them amazing products, and engage with them outside of set projects in order to keep doing business long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment