Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What I Learned in This Course:

Prior to participating in this course, I had a somewhat distorted view of what social media really consisted of. When I heard the term “social media” I linked the phrase to Facebook and Twitter and held the notion that social media was more of a social outlet for younger generations to interact with one another. I considered myself somewhat disconnected from what I perceived to be social media.

This course taught me the true meaning of the term. Over the past several weeks I have learned how social media encompasses so much more than social networking sites. This is where I began to realize the power of word of mouth marketing and social media tools. (e.g. forums, consumer reviews, mobile media, etc.). I also began to realize how heavily integrated I was with these tools without even knowing it.

As the course progressed I also began to realize why social media has become such a relevant conversation in the business environment. With the emergence of new technologies and changing social behaviors, marketers must be extremely savvy and creative in reaching new markets. Learning and understanding word of mouth marketing and being able to effectively utilize social media tools will give marketers a competitive advantage in this changing environment.

After entering the course with some reluctance, I can say that I now believe the topics I learned in this course will be extremely valuable in my future personal and professional life.

No comments:

Post a Comment