Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Key Learnings

1. Awareness:

Prior to this course, I did not consider Social Media to be anything more than an afterthought in the arena of marketing and business in general. These classes have been instrumental in opening up my eyes, becoming aware of just how power social media has become, and certainly how much room there is to grow. Small business and large ones alike are learning how to harness this incredible medium, and simply put, 8 weeks ago I had no idea. This understanding was brought to life through your teachings and many of the videos/readings we went over.

2. Real Life Applications

Understanding the issues is one thing, but learning how to apply them is even more important. Seeing how different companies have utilized the tools of social media, and working on our own projects provided a great creative outlet to explore these concepts. Moreover, I will be using what I have learned to continue to grow my small business's social media footprint in the future - hopefully I can get some more accomplished over summer break! Moreover, I honestly feel that I could take what I have learned in this course, and go to a company with limited social media use and try and carve out a position to lead such a charge. I know for a fact I have taken no other class in my life that has given me more real world application, so I thank you for that - sincerely.

3. Purple Cow - The essence of remarkable: The 3rd main concept more important to me that I took from class was this idea that social media has lead us back to the business. Social media has literally put a larger microscope on us all, and a big giant megaphone to boot. I think that is better for us all and business in general. We should be concerned about our products, we should be concerned about delivering great customer service. Social media is taking the spin, smoke and mirrors out of the classic world of advertising and replacing it with clarity, consistency and mass communication. Now customers have an equal share of the footing in the marketplace, I believe that will drive our businesses to become stronger than ever, with products that hopefully will amaze and delight us.

Thanks for a great class Joe.

Sincerely,

Ernie.


No comments:

Post a Comment